Pages

Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Vegan 'Cheese' Bread


There are 6, no, 7 things I think you need to know about me: 


1) I love bread and I love Christmas but I don't like Christmas Bread. Go figure.


2) I like paying my property taxes. There I said it. It makes me feel like a grown-up contributing towards my town's well being.


3) I hate when people do obviously stupid things. You know what they're doing is dumb, you tell them what their doing is dumb (because you know from personal experience) but still they do it and sometimes they don't even regret it.


4) I watch Mad About You episodes online when my house isn't clean, my laundry isn't done and my bed isn't made.


5) Sometimes I neglect my child for my love of bread. It's a sad thing but it happens.



6) I had 6 Reese's Peanut Butter Cup 8 packs in my freezer last week (so 48 cups), and now there is 1 pack. And my husbands been at work. True story. 


7) After the peanut butter cups I ate all 18 pieces of this bread and I don't regret it. 

I'm one of those people.

Make this bread today. It's yummy and full of vitamin B12. (Oh, and it'll make your pee really yellow)



Vegan 'Cheese' Bread Sticks
Makes 18 bread sticks

1 tbsp yeast
1 tbsp sugar
½c warm water
½ small onion, finely chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
1½ cups flour
2 tbsp olive oil
4 tbsp nutritional yeast
1¼ tsp salt
1 tsp mustard
¼ tsp pepper


Combine yeast and sugar in small bowl. Pour warm water over and whisk for a moment to mix together. Let sit in a draft-free place for 10-15 minutes, until yeast and sugar are dissolved and mixture has become frothy.

In a small saucepan sautée onion and garlic in a little olive oil until onion becomes soft. Add this to the yeast mixture, along with the rest of the ingredients. Use the dough hook on your mixer to knead dough for 5 -7mins or until the dough forms a ball. Divide into 18 even pieces. Roll pieces into skinny sticks and place on oiled baking sheets. Let sit in warm place until they have doubled in size.


Preheat oven to 375°F. Bake breadsticks for 10 minutes, or until golden brown. Serve with ranch, marinara, or your favorite dipping sauce. 

1 comment:

  1. Your vegan treats make me love you even more!!! MWAH! XOXO

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...