Pages

Monday, August 23, 2010

Raw Vegan Power Bars




I try to eat healthy.
 Or at least healthyish .
 I try to get in my 5 - 10 of fruits and veggies and my 30g of fiber.


And my 10g daily dosage of chocolate. 

What?

That's a real thing. I swear I've seen it in the Canadian Food Guide.
I'm sure most women have seen it too.


Or maybe that was just the food guide that I made up for myself.

It's called the Jesse Food Guide and the motto is, "Eat what you want when you want but don't be surprised when you feel like crap."

Tragedy, I know.
(The feeling like crap part, not the eating whatever you want part - that part is golden.)


Let me introduce you to something else that's golden:

"Power Bars meet my readers, made up primarily of my mom and anyone she's told about my blog."
"Readers meet these divine Power Bars."


Packed with fruit, protein, fibre and chocolate, they satisfy my 'food guide' requirements and some of the real food guide requirements. These bars are anything but tragic.

Make them today and let delicious meet nutritious.




Raw Vegan Power Bars
Makes 24
Adapted from: Poems About Food

1 ½ - 2 ripe sliced bananas
½ cup whole almonds
½ cup dried cherries (or any combination of dried fruits)
¼ cup dates
2 tbsp pure dairy free cocoa 
½ tsp cinnamon
½ cup natural peanut butter
¼ cup pumpkin seeds
1 ¼ cups spelt flakes (or rolled oats)

Directions:
1. Put bananas, almonds, cherries, date, cocoa and cinnamon in food processor and blend until fairly smooth.
2. Add peanut butter and mix until uniformly combined.
3. In a large bowl, add the seeds and flakes (or oats) to the peanut butter mixture and mix until oats and seeds are thoroughly coated. (I had to use my hands for this)
4. Press into an 8 x 8 square baking pan and refrigerate overnight. Cut into squares.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...