Pages

Sunday, August 8, 2010

Bread Machine Rye Bread (sort of)


An ode to this bread:

I love you, homemade bread. 
I love the way you make the house smell while you bake. I love how soft you become as you rise. I love the way melted butter seeps into your little air pockets. I love your slightly tangy yeast taste. Even when you don't always love me, dear bread, I sure as heck love you.

The End
Hello Mr. Huggy Puppy. I see you back there.

I don't know if my high school English teacher would have passed that as an ode, but it came from the heart and I meant every word.

And I see you too, Mr. Playpen
I love the convenience of my bread maker but I do not love the shape of the loaves it makes.  
So when I make bread (specifically this bread), I make the dough in the bread machine and then take it out and let it rise in a regular loaf pan.
I then bake it in the oven and...... 

Don't be judgin' my slicing. I'm all about the taste, not the looks.
Voilà! Perfect bread everytime.

Bread Machine Rye Bread
Makes 1 1.5lb loaf
Adapted from: I have no idea, really - no idea

1 1/3 cup warm water
¼ cup oil (I use canola)
¼ cup honey, molasses, or maple syrup
2 cups rye flour
1½ cups whole wheat flour
1¼ tsp salt
2½ tsp yeast
1 tsp caraway seeds (optional)

Directions
1. Add all ingredients to bread machine in the order listed. Be careful not to let the yeast touch the water.
2. According to the manufacturers instructions, set machine to dough cycle and begin.
3. Depending on your machine, it'll take anywhere from 30mins to 1hr for the dough to be kneaded into a cohesive ball. You'll probably need to check the machine a few times.
4. When the dough begins the rise cycle, remove and place it into a well oiled loaf pan.
5. Cover and allow to rise in a draft free areaa until it doubles in size (approx 1 hr).
6. Preheat oven to 350°F. 
7. Bake for about 25mins on the center oven rack.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...